Thursday, 17 August 2017 11:33:44 (AST)
 

National·News

Monument erected in memory of Rock Gutter seven

The seven students died when a minivan crashed into the sea at Rock Gutter, where this monument was erected in their memory last month. (iWN photo)

The government will, on Tuesday, officially unveil a monument in memory of the seven students who died in the minibus tragedy at Rock Gutter two years ago.

Racquel Ashton, Chanstacia Stay, Glenroy Michael, Jamall and Jamalie Edwards, Simonique Ballantyne and Anique Alexander died when the privately-owned minibus that transported them to school plunged into the sea at Rock Gutter, an uninhabited area between Fancy and Owia.

The bodies of Stay and Ballantyne were not recovered.

The Office of the Prime Minister said recently that a plaque will be unveiled on Tuesday in memory of the students.

A number of officials including area representative and acting Prime Minister, Montgomery Daniel will address the event, Elson Crick, communications director in the Office of the Prime Minister said in a media bulletin.

Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves announced the erection of the monument in his address last week Tuesday at the wreath-laying ceremony to mark National Heroes Day.

He thanked the Taiwan Embassy in Kingstown for its contribution to the erection of the monument.

The monument will be unveiled one day before a preliminary inquiry into the deaths continue at the Serious Offences Court.

Ehud Myers, a 67-year-old pastor, and Davanan Nanton, a 36-year-old chauffeur are jointly charged with by omission causing the death of the students.

The preliminary inquiry, which began last May, was scheduled to recommence on Monday, after a months-long adjournment.

However, the matter was adjourned again without hearing any further evidence after the court determined there was not enough time when the matter was called around 3:30 p.m. Monday.

The prosecution is expected to call five more witnesses in the matter.

About iWitness News

iWitness News is the leading source of daily and breaking news and current affairs information from and about St. Vincent and the Grenadines. We were founded in February 2009 by Kenton X. Chance, a career journalist and adhere to the highest standards of journalism.
PositiveSSL