FIFA has banned Venold Coombs for two years, as well as imposed a US$40,000 fine on him. (iWN photo)

FIFA, the world governing body for football, has banned the head of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines Football Federation from all football-related activities — administrative, sports or otherwise — for two years.

Further, the adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee has fined Venold Coombs US$40,000 for selling 2014 World Cup tickets at a “profiteering mark-up”.

The ban came into effect immediately, FIFA said in a release on Tuesday.

“The investigation into Mr. Coombs was opened on 9 June 2016 and focused on the resale of tickets for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™. The investigatory chamber analysed allegations that Mr Coombs had sold tickets purchased by the SVGFF and by him personally, in his capacity as a FIFA standing committee member, for a profiteering mark-up.

“The adjudicatory chamber found Mr. Coombs guilty of having violated articles 21 (Bribery and corruption), 19 (Conflicts of interest) and 15 (Loyalty) of the FIFA Code of Ethics. Mr. Coombs is therefore banned for two years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) at both national and international level.”

Coombs has been notified of the decision, FIFA said.

Coombs had denied being banned

In January, Coombs denied to iWitness News that FIFA had imposed a two-year ban on him.

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” he told iWitness News via telephone on Jan. 3, 2017, amidst reports in footballing circles that Coombs had appealed the ban.

Coombs had further offered to answer any other questions in a face-to-face interview and said he would be available at any time the following day.

However, the following day, Coombs contacted iWitness News via an agent, saying that he was unwell and would be unable to attend an interview.

The agent said Coombs had said that he had come down with a sore throat.

Coombs’ denial about a ban had come amidst widespread reports from sources familiar with soccer administration in SVG that FIFA had given him one month to appeal the then alleged two-year ban.

A well-placed source had said that Coombs had confirmed last year that FIFA had asked him to show cause why he should not be banned for two years.

A source familiar with FIFA’s disciplinary proceedings had told iWitness News that if Coombs had, in fact, been banned, FIFA would make it public after any appeal is disposed of.

7 COMMENTS

  1. A stain on SVG soccer! In fact, prosecutors on the island should be contemplating charges against Coombs for racketeering and crimes against the populace.

  2. Here we go again! Another scandal concerning the administration of soccer in SVG.

    Let’s waste no time, the immediate resignation of Mr Coombs is inorder and the removal of the executive. We have to stand for something or we going nowhere as a society.

    Mr Coombs have been using the federation money like his own trust fund, dishing out money all Willy nilly and no one in authority seems to be concern with all this shenanigans.

    Well, times up for Mr Coombs and his executive.

    Bye!

  3. BANNED AND FINED

    A person shall never be subjected to ‘…double jeopardy.’

    The appropriate world governing body ‘FIFA,’ has already
    dealt two ‘…killing administrative blows – ‘…Ban and Fine.’

    In American jurisdiction, the subject may have been fighting
    ‘…Extradition proceedings’ for, inter alia, ‘…racketeering.’

    You may wish to look at the experiences of former football
    administrator ‘Austin ‘Jack’ Warner (Trinidad & Tobago).

    Indicted by US authorities [May 2015].

    Fighting to stay out of a US penitentiary.

  4. What a scamp. Has the Inland Revenue Authority investigated whether this alleged crook has paid taxes on the money he made selling these tickets? I seriously doubt it because nobody is ever punished in our country for ripping off the people.

  5. Just dworld o the decent thing and resign. SVG cannot afford to have this type of stain on it’s reputation. 2022 World Cup is just around the corner and we need to be there!!!

  6. He should be banned forever from participating in anything to do with soccer.He used his influence for profit and ripping off soccer lovers.What a Scumbag.Proud someone took action.Others would get the message.

  7. The acting president is worse than coombs, he is also involved in the sale of tickets also.

Comments are closed.