Advertisement 87
Advertisement 323
The deceased, Jamal Finch aka Cribit, left (Searchlight photo) and the firearm that police said was found at his home on Monday.
The deceased, Jamal Finch aka Cribit, left (Searchlight photo) and the firearm that police said was found at his home on Monday.
Advertisement 219

The Sion Hill man who was shot and killed in the East Kingstown community Friday night was felled by the same type of firearm used to kill five males in Kingstown on July 19.

Jamal Finch aka “Cribit”, 41, of Sion Hill was shot and killed about 11:55 p.m. in Mala Village as he was walking home.

A well-placed source said that Finch is believed to have been shot with a Draco semi-automatic pistol, the same type of weapon believed to have been used in the worst mass killing in living memory in St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

In a statement on Sunday, police said Finch was walking along the Mala Village Public Road on his way home when he was accosted by armed assailant(s) and shot several times about his body.

Meanwhile, police said on Monday that they recovered a pistol and six rounds of ammunition at Finch’s home on Saturday.

Advertisement 271

Police said they conducted a search at Finch’s home as part of their investigation into his death.

“The police recovered one 9mm pistol and six rounds of ammunition at the deceased place of abode,” the police Public Relations Department said in a statement.

Kingstown 5
The five people shot and killed in Kingstown on July 19, 2021. From left: Lamont “Dutchie” Hector, Jamal “Dutty” Bobb, Dondre Hillocks, Ricky Taylor, and Kashie Primus.

Finch’s death brings the homicide country this year to 38, just four shy of the record set last year. 

He is the second person to be shot and killed in the country in less than 48 hours.

Finch’s death came one day after Jovanne Baptiste, 28, of Rose Place, was shot and killed in Buccament Bay as he made his way to work at the construction site of Sandals Resort. 

Finch had a chequered life that included run-in with the law and the underworld.

On June 4, 2007, he survived what was the second attempt on his life when gunshots from an unidentified assailant resulted in injuries to his right arm and back in Middle Street, Kingstown.

A few months earlier, he was shot in the face while on his way to his home in Paul’s Avenue.

In September 2007, Finch was jailed for three months for having in his possession without a licence six rounds of .38 special ammunition and one round of 9mm ammunition at his home in Upper Cane Hall on Aug. 4, 2007.

Police are asking anyone with information that can assist the investigation into Finch’s death to call 999/911 or, 1-784- 457-1211 ext. 4836/4837 or, any police station or police officer with whom they are comfortable speaking.

“All information received would be treated confidentially. Investigations into the matter are ongoing,” police said.