Edson Augustus has been official recalled from his post as Deputy-Consul General at the Consulate General of St. Vincent and the Grenadines in New York, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a release on Monday.
“On Wednesday, 5th February 2014 the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines received reports suggesting that Mr. Agustus, while posted in New York, was involved in activities outside the scope of his employment and inimical to the interest of the Consulate General and the Government and people of St. Vincent and the Grenadines,” the release further said.
The release, however, did not detail the nature or extent of the former diplomat’s activities outside of the scope of his employment.
“Having subsequently received sufficient confirmation of those reports, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines acted promptly in recalling Mr. Agustus with immediate effect,” the release said.
“All matters touching and concerning the said activities are under further review,” the Ministry further stated.
Meanwhile, earlier on Monday, Opposition Leader Arnhim Eustace called on the Ralph Gonsalves government to make a statement amidst rumours that Augustus was no longer in the post.
“For the last few days in particular, we are hearing grumblings coming out of New York in relation to the St. Vincent mission there,” Eustace said.
“It seems that something has happened and what I am hearing could redound not to the benefit but shame to St. Vincent and the Grenadines,” Eustace said on his weekly radio programme.
“And I would hope that some time today, the Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines can clear the air to stop all these rumours … and to give us the assurance that all senior staff are still in place,” Eustace further said.