Milton Cato Memorial Hospital. (iWN file photo)

The Ministry of Health said on Wednesday that tests conducted by the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) have confirmed that a Nigerian student who was admitted to Milton Cato Memorial Hospital earlier this week has malaria, as in-house tests had shown.

The ministry further said that the student has since been discharged from hospital on treatment.

“The Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment can confirm at this time that the patient has been discharged from the hospital on treatment. And, as a part of the management process, the professionals at the Environmental Management Department are implementing source reduction activities in targeted areas,” Neeka Anderson-Isaacs, communications officer in the ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.

The ministry said that the results of both the in-house spot testing and the two blood samples sent to the Trinidad-based CARPHA have confirmed the diagnosis of malaria.

The Nigerian student was admitted on Monday, and, as a precaution, hospital officials cleared the Accident and Emergency Department of all ambulant patients.

The move to clear the unit triggered an Ebola scare, with patients and healthcare providers scampering after the Nigerian students checked into the nation’s major healthcare facility.

The ministry, however, said that the student, who has a history of malaria, had suffered a relapse.

Anderson-Isaacs said that since the preliminary diagnosis, the Chief Environment Health Officer and staff at the Environmental Management Department within the Ministry have activated the malaria prevention plan.

“The Ministry and the relevant stakeholders are continuing to work closely with the Caribbean Public Health Agency and the Pan American Health Organisation in the management of this situation and remain vigilant in this regard,” Anderson-Isaacs said.