Advertisement 87
Advertisement 323
Photo by Nneka Daniel.
Photo by Nneka Daniel.
Advertisement 219

By Chévanev A.Y Charles 

So! You have a small boat or a yacht and want to put it on the water in St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) so you can earn some United States Dollars from the tourists as a taxi and/or tour guide in the upcoming tourist season.

Before you get into “hiccups” for operating illegally, read this article and learn how to register your boat so you can operate your small business of being a tour guide without any serious issues with the authorities. 

Registration of your boat or yacht is handled by the SVG Maritime Administrationlocated at the Cruise Ship Terminal building in the capital city: Kingstown.

According to the Shipping Act (CAP 363) of the Laws of SVG section 3 & 4,you must be registered with insurance in order to operate exclusively in SVG waters.

Advertisement 21

In order to register your boat you will, of course, needs to bring some documentation. The following list will be helpful:

  1. Letter of application to the Registrar of Ships – this is a cover letter explaining you are applying to register your ship;
  2. An original application for registration
  3. Proof that the boat is yours through a bill of sale or a builder’s certificate (notarizedby a justice of the peace or a notary public)
  4. Declaration of ownership (notarisedby a justice of the peace or a notary public)
  5. Deletion certificate (if you bought the boat from another flag other than SVG)
  6. Copy of insurance certificate
  7. Letter of call sign from the National Telecommunications Regulatory Commission (NTRC).
  8. Survey/ inspection Report

Dependent on your boat or yacht size you may have to submit more documents or may not require a particular document at all. It is always best to call the Maritime Administration to clarify what you need to bring. 

Provided you submit all accurate documentationandpay the fees, registration is quite speedy taking approximately 3-4 working days.

In order to get a sticker for your boat that says “Approved Water Taxi,” you must also register with the Tourism Authority

The captain or skipper of your boat will require a boat master’s licence issued by the Maritime Administration. You may find it useful to join the Water Taxi Association which has three sections on the mainland as well as the Northern and Southern Grenadines.

Water taxi operators take their jobs seriously. They look professional; well-groomed and are clearly identifiable as water taxi operators, they don’t swear at tourists or hassle them. They understand that service is key and that they are selling an experience which must be excellent to have repeat customers. Keep this standard high and your boat will do well!  

To be honest, if you are a Vincentian, you do not need an agent to help you register, however, the agents on the island are very experienced in registration. Nevertheless, the staff at the SVG Maritime Administration are very friendly and will sit with you to explain the process. You may find that you can actually handle ship registration yourself but bear in mind agents are around to ease the process. 

Water taxis are an important and even vital part of the tourism sector in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Never let anyone tell you or encourage the thought that this island isn’t beautiful. I have been to several countries now and SVG is definitelyone of the best. Showcase what we have and take care of the environment while you do so. 

You should always bear in mind the title of the song performed by artistes Skinny Fabulous and steel pan maestro Rodney Small above everything you do in tourism: “This Island is Mine.”   

The views and opinions expressed herein are the author’s. They do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency of the government

Chévanev A.Y Charles is a UK- trained practisinglawyer called to the bar in the United Kingdom, Grenada, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. He holds a Masters’ degree in international maritime law from the International Maritime Law Institute (IMLI Malta). He is a consultant, legislative drafter, a mediator, and a lecturer. 

The opinions presented in this content belong to the author and may not necessarily reflect the perspectives or editorial stance of iWitness News. Opinion pieces can be submitted to [email protected].