The Ministry of Health, on Monday night, explained the use of an isolation chamber to transport someone from Arnos Vale to Kingstown earlier in the day.
The development, parts of which was filmed by members of the public and circulated on social media, generated much speculation and anxiety amidst the spread of the pandemic to the Caribbean, including St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
The ministry said Monday night one of its isolation transport chambers was used “to safely transfer a patient from a private health care facility to the Kingstown District Flu Clinic for further assessment and management.
“While the patient does not meet all of the criteria of the case definition a COVID-19 suspect case, out of an abundance of caution, further investigations are being carried out including the specific COVID-19 test,” a statement said.
The terse statement added:
“The Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment will continue to provide the public with additional information as it becomes available. The Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment thanks the Vincentian public for their continued support and cooperation.”
St. Vincent and the Grenadines on March 11 registered its sole confirmed case of COVID-19.
Chief Medical Officer Simone Keizer-Beache said on Sunday that that person is “doing very well” and is expected to make a full recovery. Further test will be conducted on that patient within the 48 hours after Tuesday, before she is declared as having recovered from the illness.