St. Vincent and the Grenadines has recorded its 17th COVID-19 case, the National Emergency Management Organisation (NEMO) announced on Sunday.
NEMO said the latest case “is part of the cluster whose first case was reported on April 21, 2020, and was identified as part of an aggressive contact tracing and testing campaign”.
Health officials had earlier described the cases as “local transmission”.
Case #17 brings to five the number of persons who contracted the disease locally amidst on-going concern about the spread of the viral illness in Greiggs, a South Central Windward Community.
All the other cases were imported, health authorities had said.
NEMO, in its statement on Sunday, gave no indication of when officials in SVG received from the Caribbean Public Health Agency CARPHA confirmation of the latest case.
It, however, said that results received last Thursday, April 30, medically cleared another person as having recovered from COVID-19.
“This means that there are now nine recovered persons and eight active cases of COVID-19 in St. Vincent and the Grenadines,” the release said.
Meanwhile, in its daily bulletin, the COVID-19 Taskforce said on Sunday that no test results were pending — down from 16 on Saturday, including one test for medical clearance.
Further, as at 6 p.m. on Sunday, 102 persons were in quarantine and the 137 persons had been tested.
In its statement, NEMO said:
“The Health Services Subcommittee of the National Emergency Committee is reminding the public about the importance of maintaining the highly effective public health measures currently in place which include hand hygiene, cough etiquette, physical distancing of at least 3-6 feet in public spaces along with the smart use of masks.
“These measures must be maintained to continue to contain and slow the spread of COVID-19 in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Let us continue to share the responsibility of learning to live well in a world with COVID-19.”