Buccament Bay Resort. (iWN file photo)

The once-five-star Buccament Bay Resort, which has been closed since December 2016, when its electricity was disconnected for lack of payment, is again receiving guests.

iWitness News was reliably informed that the resort, which has gone into receivership and is the subject of several international legal battles, is being used to quarantine persons suspected of being exposed to the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.

The government has not made any announcement on the development.

However, iWitness News was reliably informed that the six sailors who were quarantined after their repatriation, among a group of 92, on Saturday are staying at the resort.

Further, two Grenadians who were brought to St. Vincent on board a cruise ship on Wednesday are said to be housed there, until their COVID-19 status is determined.

Electricity and water were reconnected to the resort over the past few weeks.

The presence of light on the compound last month had generated some discussion.

At an April 29 press conference, iWitness News asked Minister of Finance Camillo Gonsalves about the lights at the facility.

He said:

“We hope we remain hopeful that that we will have a positive announcement on Buccament Bay in the near future. The facility needed some cleaning. And there was some investigation about whether or not the facility could be used in the interim for various services over the course of this crisis.”

Since the resort closed, the government has made a number of failed attempts to woo an investor.

Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves had asked that the media not disclose the location of quarantine facilities because of possible stigmatisation.

iWitness News is aware of a private-owned accommodation facility in eastern St. Vincent and a health care facility that have been used to quarantine persons in connection with COVID-19.

The government has also discussed with operational hotels the quarantining of Vincentian sailors after they are repatriated.  

5 replies on “Shuttered Buccament resort used as quarantine facility”

  1. Fidus Achates says:

    What a shame.The ULP regime has no taste and is losing ground since this pandemic.They will lose the next election with all of this nonsense they’re doing.I declare and decree that the VINCENTIAN public will no longer be fooled by all of these tactics.

  2. Don’t you all see Christ is coming why not look up and stop the fighting and put hand together now is not for election now is the time for togetherness let us put all election aside and come together for god sake

  3. Why vincentians are so stupid everything is about politics and Ralph why don’t you guys leave the man alone…He is doing what he thinks is best for the country…You guys please give him a break and yes he is going to win the election again by the will of God…Leave him alone ah beg.

    1. How can you say such a thing KAI, This man and his regime, his family dynasty, has taken SVG down a road which is linked to Venezuela and Cuba. We are at great risk because of this association, its his vision of politics which he is trying to live, not ours, unless we are sick or stupid.

  4. Monica Rosa says:

    Sure his son is going to be the next prime minister of saint vincent. Let them talk, they just have gas to pass.

Comments are closed.