Advertisement 328
Advertisement 211
Homicide Investigation
Advertisement 219

An autopsy has concluded that a 66-year-old watchman, whose decomposing body was found at a state-owned facility, on Sunday, died of injuries to the head.

The dead man is Christopher Greaves, of Vermont.

His body was found at the former Emerald Valley Casino, in Penniston, where he was the sole watchman for the past few years.

iWitness News understands that Greaves practically lived at the site.

A resident of the area met Greaves dead at the property on Sunday, three days after he was last seen alive.

Advertisement 271

The resident had reportedly become concerned after the man had not visited the shops located about a quarter of a mile away, as he usually did.

Police were called in and conducted initial investigations at the scene where the body, which was decomposed beyond facial recognition, was found.

iWitness News was reliably informed that Greaves has repeatedly been the subject of threats by persons who had attempted to burglarise the property.

The property had been the subject of litigation involving a now deceased lawyer and Danish interests, but National Properties, a state-owned company, now has oversight of it.

After police had processed the scene, some of Greaves’ relatives later returned to retrieve his personal belongings, including gardening tools.

iWitness News understands that a hoe was found under some clothes in a barrel.

When Greaves’ relatives inspected it, they saw what appeared to be blood and strands of hair on the hoe.

The police were told of the find and took it into their possession, as part of their investigation.

An autopsy conducted on Monday concluded that Greaves died as a result of blows to his head and face.

Greaves is the second elderly watchman killed on the job in St. Vincent and the Grenadines in just under three months.

On Nov. 24, Irwin Patterson, 71, of Layou, who was a watchman at a quarry in the Mt. Wynne area, was found gasping for breath by his co-worker, who summoned the police from the Barrouallie Police Station.

Police officers visited the scene and took Patterson to the Buccament Bay Polyclinic. He was later transferred to the Accident and Emergency Department of the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital. Patterson died at the hospital that same day.

No one has been charged in connection with Patterson’s death.

4 replies on “Watchman found dead in Penniston”

  1. Too many killings in SVG. Our country is no longer home of the blessed. Curse is everyone who spilled the blood of his fellow man. May he become a vagabond and a wander. Let him have no peace of mind and no respite. May he live in fear and torment for the rest of his life. May his life be shortened as well.

  2. This also brings to mind the death of [a man in North Leeward]. He was murdered in the apartment where he lived. Reports were that the landlord washed away the blood and cleaned up the place before the police arrived on the scene. If this was true, why wasn’t arrested and charged for obstructing justice. Was he trying to hide or cover up something? Was he an accomplice??? Is this the home of the blessed or the land of murderers??? Did the police do their job thoroughly? There are too many unsolved murders in our country.

  3. So instead of members of the “professional” SVG police force finding what may be the murder weapon, it was left to the relatives of the deceased to find ,what was not very well hidden, under some clothes in a barrel….jeeeezzzz what are these professional public servants being paid for when they can’t even do the job…..basic policing.

Comments closed.