Some persons in St. Vincent and the Grenadines are colluding with travellers to the country “to aid their intentions of not complying with the existing protocols,” Chief Medical Officer Simone Keizer-Beache says.
She made the disclosure in a press release on Wednesday, saying that the Health Services Subcommittee of the National Emergency Committee/Coronavirus Taskforce has noted “a disturbing and increasing trend” of travellers to the country requesting exemptions from presenting the required negative PCR result and/or quarantining in a Tourism Authority/MOHWE-approved hotel for five days, as indicated.
“The public is reminded that the strict compliance with the protocols for travellers to St. Vincent and the Grenadines has served this country well so far,” Keizer-Beache said.
“There is no evidence of local or community spread of COVID-19. Early detection and isolation of positive cases have prevented infection of other persons locally.”
The CMO said that these capacities are particularly vital in view of the rapidly rising numbers of infections in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and countries in the Caribbean region.
“The Health Services Subcommittee advises that no exemptions will be granted in terms of the requirement to arrive with a negative PCR result, no older than five days, where required. Additionally, no exemptions will be granted to the five-day mandatory quarantine in a TA/MOHWE approved hotel.
“Travellers from high risk countries will not be allowed to quarantine in their homes. The typical quarantine period of 14 days will be enforced. Any breaches of the Quarantine Orders as issued will be referred for prosecution. Any unauthorized deviation from these protocols puts all Vincentians at risk,” Keizer-Beache said.