Vincentian health officials’ “investigation” into some 204 cases of COVID-19 among persons with no recent travel history has identified five clusters, but has been unable to link some of the cases to any of those clusters.
“As we mentioned last week, we had identified five different clusters, including churches and some workplaces,” Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Simone Keizer-Beache told a virtual press conference on Wednesday.
“We still have some places, some persons that we cannot do a direct link to but we are still working,” said Keizer-Beache, who is still in quarantine, though she has been cleared by negative PCR tests after coming into contact with a COVID-19 patient.
The CMO was speaking at a press conference in which epidemiologist Tamara Bobb announced that St. Vincent and the Grenadines recorded 49 new coronavirus cases between Tuesday’s report and the time of the press conference shortly after 2 p.m.
On Tuesday, the country recorded 31 cases, all among persons with no recent travel history.
“We are still doing some investigations in terms of whether these cases are imported or local,” Bobb said.
“The majority of them are local, however, we still have eight cases where we are investigating whether they are imported or linked to a local case.”
Bobb said that with the additional 49 new cases, the country has a total of 333 COVID-19 cases, 227 of which remain active.
However, by the time the Coronavirus Task Force dashboard was released at 7:30 p.m., a further seven cases had been added, bringing the total to 340.
This means that the country now has 211 cases under investigation, according to the latest statistics.
The taskforce said that 106 patients have recovered from their illness. The country has not recorded any COVID-19 related deaths.