Advertisement 87
Advertisement 211
Sandy Bay

The Red Zone community of Sandy Bay. (Photo: Javid Collins/UWItv)

Advertisement 219

The government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines has moved the volcano alert from Red, the highest, to Orange, the third highest on the four-level scale.

Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves said on the state-owned NBC Radio on Thursday that the Cabinet made the decision one day earlier.

The alert level was raised to Red on April 8 when the evacuation order was given about 15 hours before La Soufriere erupted explosively.

A red alert means that an eruption is in progress or may occur without further warning.

The last explosion at the volcano was on April 22, and La Soufriere has remained quiet since then.

Advertisement 21

An Orange alert means that there is a highly elevated level of seismicity or fumarolic activity or both or other highly unusual symptoms.

At this level, eruptions could occur within less than 24 hours notice.

Gonsalves said that with the alert level having been moved to Orange, it still means “absolutely you can’t go into the Red Zone unless you have permission by the state authorities and all the Orange Zones, people can go and return.”

The details of what is permitted will be published in an order, the prime minister said. 

“But what we are saying, if you are in Chateaubelair, particularly the lower part of Chateaubelair, and in Fitz Hughes that we do not want you to go back and, therefore, we would prevent you from going back there … because we haven’t finished the clean up of all the ash that is there and it doesn’t make sense you going back with all the ash on the streets and so forth.”

Gonsalves said that water and electricity have been restored all the way to Richmond on the northwestern coast.

“Not because it is in Richmond you must go there. Absolutely not. But Fitz Hughes and Chateaubelair are in the Orange Zone — if you look at the map — and the clean up, we are just in the early stages…

“So that’s the story in relation to the alert and absolutely, you must not go into the    Red Zone to go and live and do things like that.”

He said that the precise nature of what people would be allowed to do in the Red Zone would be indicated in the order.

 “… but you are not to go there to live and stay. Not at all,” the prime minister emphasised.

“It’s still very dangerous until the seismologists advise us and advise NEMO’s director and I am advised, accordingly, that the Red Zone is out of bounds. But, the Orange Zone, you can go and reoccupy.”

He said that mudflows north of the Rabacca Dry River have made the situation there more perilous than it had been a week earlier.

“I mean, if you see the videos and people who have gone in the state administration have made those reports to me,” the prime minister said.

“We just have to listen.”

Meanwhile, speaking on the same programme, seismologist Roderick Stewart, who is head of the volcano monitoring team said that the volcano has remained quiet over the past 24 hours.

He said that his team will continue their investigation into the activities there.

“At the moment, there shouldn’t be anyone in the Red Zone doing any recovery and that should be strongly policed,” Stewart said.

“So it is important however we manage things that we still police access to these areas. We can’t afford to let our guard down. We may change the alert level but there is still a guard that has got to be kept up.”

Stewart said that he had heard that there were quite a few people in Sandy Bay, a Red Zone community on the northeastern coast.

“And it just surprises me because there shouldn’t be anyone in Sandy Bay unless they are there on some sort of official government business but there seems to be a small community there at the moment. I don’t know if anything can be done about that at the moment. I’ll leave that to the prime minister,” he said.

Advertisement 128

2 replies on “Volcano alert reduced to Orange”

  1. The people who stay back in the red zone are very ignorant. But when I hear of how some are being treated by the hand out ration of food to the people is very ridiculous. They are giving a family of two, two this and two that in a box and one water. What do they expect the family is going to do if there is a family if six. Wake up you all, do you want a famine to happen in saint Vincent with all the things that is being shipped to you all. This is why some people rather stay in their homes than going to shelters. All the cots that’s there people are still sleeping on the bare floors. You have enough of everything. Please wake up you all. People is talking and I am trying to stay the talk. Ralph don’t have nothing to do with it. Its the people who are running the distribution. Get your act going on the right path.

  2. Based on the information, the Scientist has not given the all clear for a change in the alert level. That’s a decision taken by the Prime Minister’s and his cabinet. Nuff said

Comments are closed.