Police have asked the Diamond Estate man who was shot at his home on April 13 as well as two of the people allegedly present at the time to give caution statements.
A caution statement is supposed to alert the maker of the statement to the potential use that may be made of the statement in subsequent criminal proceedings.
It suggests that the police could be considering bringing a charge against the person given the statement.
Commissioner of Police Colin John told iWitness News, on Tuesday, that police are nearing the completion of the investigation surrounding the shooting of Cornelius John at his home.
Mr. John said that he was shot by one of two men, who, along with Senator Ashelle Morgan, came to his home uninvited on April 13.
He has also alleged that the senator, who is also a lawyer and deputy speaker of the House of Assembly, pointed a gun at him and threatened to shoot him.
“Well, I know the persons appeared with their lawyers, they were cautioned,” the police chief told iWitness News Tuesday evening, when asked about the investigation.
“I have not seen the file back as yet. We are nearing the completion of that investigation,” Commissioner John said.
Asked who were the persons from whom the police requested caution statements, the police chief said, “Mr. John and other persons of interest.”
Asked if Nelson and Morgan gave caution statements, Commissioner John said police approached them but he did not know if they gave caution statements.
Last week, the police chief said that the director of public prosecution had sent the file back to police for clarification of some matters.
On Monday, Kay Bacchus-Baptiste, the shooting victim’s lawyer, told iWitness News that she had taken her client in for a caution statement, as requested by police.
She, however, said that Mr. John ended up not giving any statement because the “concoction they put to him was so outlandish and obviously a concoction; there was no need to respond”.
Also on Monday, Bacchus-Baptiste told iWitness News that police told her that Senator Morgan does not have a firearm permit and never applied for one.
She said that on Sunday, the police had asked that Mr. John give a caution statement because Nelson and Morgan had made a complaint against him.
However, on Monday, Mr. John was told that his wife, as well as Morgan had made complaints, Bacchus-Baptiste said.
She said that the police told her client that his wife had reported to them that he had threatened her on the day of the shooting.
However, Mr. John’s wife, Nicole, has told iWitness News that she and her husband had no altercation on the day of the shooting.
Bacchus-Baptiste said that the police showed her and her client a typewritten statement they said Morgan gave on April 14 about the shooting incident.
The lawyers asked why police were only then referring her client to that statement.
On Sunday, Bacchus-Baptiste and police went to John’s home, where investigators took measurements of where the various parties were during the shooting incident.
There has been much public discussion about the shooting and the time it is taking to complete the investigation.
Some commenters have suggested that it is because of the persons involved, adding that were less-connected people implicated, they would have been arrested and charged a long time ago.
Police have not made any arrest in connection with the shooting and no one has been charged.
Nelson has proceeded, voluntarily, on leave, pending the outcome of the investigation.
Morgan, however, has remained in her post and has defied calls by the public and the parliamentary opposition, in the national assembly, for her to demit her post temporarily.
iWitness News has been unsuccessful in repeated attempts over the past weeks to reach Nelson and Morgan for comment.