Meshach Dublin, one of the three men charged in connection with the removal of three firearms and over 300 rounds of ammunition from the Georgetown Police Station, on Monday, changed his pleas to not guilty on all the counts against him.
Last week Tuesday, July 13, at the Serious Offences court, Grant Connell, who represented Dublin at his June 21 arraignment, asked to be removed from the record as counsel.
Jomo Thomas then asked to be placed on the record as counsel for Dublin’, a 26-year-old unemployed Diamonds resident, who is also known as “Shane” and “3D”.
The hearing in the matter was adjourned to last Friday, but was further adjourned to Monday.
On Monday (yesterday), when the matter was called, Thomas told the court that after extensive conversation with his client and based on his client’s instruction, he would like that the charges be put to Dublin again.
Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne read the charges and Dublin pleaded not guilty to all nine of them.
Prosecutor Police Sergeant Renwick Cato told the court that the Crown had no objections to Dublin’s bail.
The prosecutor, however, asked the court to require sufficient surety, order that the defendant surrender his travel documents, that stop notices be posted at ports of entry and exit, and that he report to police.
The chief magistrate set bail at EC$60,000 with one surety and ordered that Dublin surrender his travel document, that stop notices be posted at ports, that he obtain the permission of the court if he wishes to leave the state, and report to Colonarie Police Station on Monday and Thursday between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.
The magistrate adjourned and transferred the matters to the Colonarie Magistrate Court for July 29.
Dublin is charged:
· that on June 17, 2021, at Diamond, he had in his possession one M-4 rifle, serial number W877775, a prohibited weapon without the authorisation of the minister;
· that between June 2 and 17, 2021, at Sion Hill, he had in his possession one Glock 22 pistol, serial number LNL155, without a licence issued under the Firearms Act; and
· that on June 17, 2021, at Kingstown, he had in his possession one Glock 22 pistol, serial number LNL 144 without a licence issued under the Firearms Act;
Dublin is jointly charged along with Zackrie Latham, 25, a former police constable, of New Grounds, and Avi King, 26, a labourer, of Diamonds:
· that between June 2 and 18, 2021, at Diamonds, they had in their possession criminal property, to wit, EC$3,200 in cash, which they knew or suspected in whole or in part directly or indirectly represents the proceed of criminal conduct;
· that on June 17, at Diamonds, they had in their possession 305 rounds of ammunition without a licence issued under the Firearms Act;
· that between June 2 and 17, 2021, at Sion Hill, not being a licenced firearm dealer, sold one Glock 22 pistol, serial number LNL 155 to one “Pet”, of Sion Hill;
· that between June 2 and 17, 2021, at Sion Hill, not being a licensed firearm dealer, sold one magazine with 15 rounds of .40mm ammunition to one “Pet”, of Sion Hill;
· that on June 17, 2021, at Kingstown, not being a licensed firearm dealer, sold one Glock 22 pistol, serial number LNL 144 to Myron Samuel, of Layou; and,
· that on June 17, 2021, at Kingstown, not being a licensed firearm dealer, sold one magazine with 15 rounds of .40mm ammunition to Myron Samuel, of Layou.
At his arraignment, King pleaded guilty to all but two of the charges brought against him, but last week, pleaded guilty to those charges also when counsel Nakita Charles acted amicus on his behalf.
On Monday, the court heard the facts in relation to those 11 guilty pleas and King will be sentenced on Tuesday after the court hears Charles’ mitigation.
Latham has pleaded not guilty to all the charges brought against him and is to appear before the Colonarie magistrate on July 29.
Myron Samuel, 28, self-employed, of Layou, has pleaded not guilty to the three charges brought against him allegedly in connection with a firearm and 15 rounds of ammunition reportedly stolen from the police station.
Samuel, a former national footballer, is accused of purchasing a pistol and 15 rounds of ammunition allegedly stolen from the police station, as well as possession of a firearm and ammunition without a licence.
He secured EC$20,000 bail with one surety at his arraignment on June 21 and is to reappear before the Serious Offences Court on Tuesday.