The SVG Swimming Federation (SVGSF) hosted its annual SVG Gallagher National Swimming Championships Aug. 24to 27at Shrewsbury Aquatic Centre
This event served as the primary basis for the selection of the national team to compete at the OECS Swimming Championships in St Lucia, Nov. 10 to 12.
The overall club champions were Black Sands Swim Squad with 1,306 points. In second place was Blue Marlins with 1,277 points. Solid Base swim club from Grenada placed third and Pirates swim club from Barbados was in 4th place while Grenfins swim club from Grenada was 5th. Black Sands won a total of 177 medals (74 gold, 57 silver and 46 bronze) while Blue Marlins won 126 medals (42 gold, 45 silver and 39 bronze).
Outstanding individual performances were:
- Alexander Joachim, swimming in male age 15 & over for Black Sands – 12 gold medals in 12 races, 7 national records and 10 personal best times in his 12 races.
- Tyler Robinson, swimming in Boys 11 to 12 for Black Sands – 12 gold medals in 12 races and 12 personal best times.
- Belle Adams, swimming in girls 9 to 10 for Blue Marlins – 12 gold medals in 12 races and 10 personal best times.
- Matthew Ballah, swimming in Boys age 13 to 14 for Black Sands – 11 gold medals, 1 bronze medal in 12 races; 3 age group records, 1 national open record and 9 personal best times.
- Tayeah St Hilaire, swimming in the girls 11 to 12 for Blue Marlins – 10 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze medal in 12 races; 2 age group records and 11 personal best times.
- Caghry Williams, swimming in the boys 9 to 10 for Blue Marlins – 8 golds and 4 silvers in his 12 races; 6 personal best times.
There were 34 individual swimmers who won multiple medals. Complete results and scores are attached.
A total of 20 SVG records were broken with 7 by Alex Joachim, 3 by Matthew Ballah and 2 by Tayeah St Hilaire, 2 by Eltonte Leonard and 1 each by Zariel Nelson, Abigail Deshong, Kennice Greene, Saj Caesar, Kione Deshong and Brandon George.
The individual age group champions were:
Age group Name Points Club Girls 8 & Under Evie Twum-Barimah 76 Grenfins, Grenada Boys 8 & Under Mateo Thomas 86 Solid Base, Grenada Girls 9 to 10 Belle Adams 108 Blue Marlins Boys 9 to 10 Caghry Williams 100 Blue Marlins Girls 11 to 12 Tayeah St Hilaire 103 Blue Marlins Boys 11 to 12 Tyler Robinson 108 Black Sands Girls 13 to 14 Rhonyah Jack 77 Blue Marlins Boys 13 to 14 Matthew Ballah 105 Black Sands Girls 15 & Over Abigail Deshong 75 Black Sands Boys 15 & Over Alexander Joachim 108 Black Sands
The sprint challenge winners were:
Age group Name Club Girls 8 & Under Evie Twum-Barimah Grenfins, Grenada Boys 8 & Under Mateo Thomas Solid Base, Grenada Girls 9 to 12 Tayeah St Hilaire Blue Marlins Boys 9 to 12 Tyler Robinson Black Sands Girls 13 & over Kennice Greene Black Sands Boys 13 & over Matthew Ballah Black Sands
“The SVGSF congratulates all swim clubs and their athletes on their performances at our national championships. Most swimmers saw improved personal best times. We encourage our athletes and coaches to keep up the hard work as we prepare for the upcoming OECS Swimming Championships in St. Lucia,” a press release said.