One of the two newspapers that Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves last month accused of defaming him has apologised.
Gonsalves said on Monday that he has accepted the apology published in The Vincentian on Friday and will not sue.
He, however, said he is still awaiting an apology from The News newspaper, which he also accused of publishing a defamatory comment on July 26.
He said that if the weekly does not apologise, he would sue for defamation.
The Vincentian, in the apology last week, said that it acknowledged that an allegation that columnist Dr. Kenneth John made in his article of July 26 was “is defamatory and is groundless and indefensible, and ought not to have been published”.
The publication apologised “unreservedly for having published the defamatory allegation” and also offered “ sincere apologies to the Prime Minister for the distress and embarrassment caused by the publication of the allegation”.
Gonsalves has also demanded an apology from John. However, John has denied media request for a comment.
Gonsalves, who like John is a lawyer, said that if apologies are received he would not sue, but added that he is not afraid of the courts.
Gonsalves has successfully sued local radio station NICE Radio and several individuals for defamation.