The St. Vincent and the Grenadines Football Federation will be making every effort to assist injured coach, Wesley “Butu” Charles, meet some of his medical cost in aiding him to recover from burns he suffered as a result of an attack while he slept at his Brighton home last week.
Reports say that Charles was doused with a hot substance through an open window while he slept in the pre-dawn hours of Sept. 12.
The incident is said to have left Charles with severe burns about his body, including to his chest, stomach, arms and legs.
SVGFF President, Venold Coombs, who was among the first persons to visit the former national defender at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital, expressed sadness over the attack on Charles, adding that Charles “was in a bad way”.
Coombs said he had visited Charles on two occasions, adding that they were very painful encounters that deeply impacted him as a person.
“It is extremely hard for me to look at him in that state. That is wickedness,” he said of the attack on the coach.
“But I have to give him the support as I would give to all footballers. He is one of us — a member of the football family and we have to do what we can.”
The president said that the SVGFF will see what is possible if or when Charles is required to travel overseas for treatment.
Charles, a former defender, represented SVG over 100 times at the international level. He also played professionally in Europe and North America.
Just over a year ago, he was drafted into the coaching staff of the senior national team as assistant coach to his former colleague, defender Cornelius Huggins.
Huggins said that he was shocked by the attack on Charles and wished the former player, whom he described as “a brother and friend”, a speedy recovery.
I-Witness News understands that Charles is able to move about but is still experiencing a great deal of pain from his injuries.