Persons who acted as judge, jury and executioner and beat a man who they accused of having attacked three females, may soon find themselves having to answer in court for their action.
Silbert Peters, the victim of the vicious beating in Sion Hill, which was captured on video and circulated via social media, has filed a report with the police.
Head of the Police Public Relations Department, Inspector Hawkins Nanton, told iWitness News on Thursday that Peters filed a report with the Criminal Investigations Department on Feb. 19 in connection with the beating.
Police have launched an investigation but are yet to make any arrest, Nanton said.
The beating came in the aftermath of a voice and photograph circulated separately on social media, accusing Peters of being the perpetrator of certain acts against three women in separate incidents earlier this month.
In the voice note, a male levels the allegations against Peters and makes certain allegations about his health.
“The people and dem don’t want tell nobody because they don’t want nobody get scared,” the man on the voice note claimed, but gave no indication of the source of his information, even as he urged listeners to warn their female relatives.
In the video circulated on social media, several persons in a large mob can be seen striking Peters about the body, while other kicked him to the ground.
A female, supposedly the one recording the video, resorted to expletives in her bid to convince the mob to desist from beating the man.
‘Oh f***! Alyo go kill him,” she said, later exclaiming, “Alyo go kill the man!”
Other persons appealed to the mobsters to stop, even as Peters attempted to run away.
The beatings seem to have come to an end, when a man intervened, saying that if Peter is suspected to have contravened the law, the police should be summoned.
Some persons on social media have endorsed the vigilante justice approach to Peters, while others have condemned it, noting that no citizen has a right to take the law into their hands.
The police issued a bulletin on Feb. 19, presumably after the beating and Peter’s report.
The bulletin said:
“Silbert Peters is not of interest to the Royal St. Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force at this time in respect to the attack on three females recently.
“The Police are asking the public to desist from restraining Peters.”
The judicial system in St. Vincent and the Grenadines allows for the admission of videos, such as the one posted on Facebook into evidence.
A few years ago, a video of a motorist assaulting a police officer was used to convict the motorist.