The trial of the prison warder charged with corruption and conspiracy in connection with last year’s jailbreak of an accused murderer has been adjourned.
Louie Cupid’s trial was scheduled to begin on Monday at the Serious Offences Court in Kingstown.
However, when Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne called the case, Senior Prosecutor Adolphus Delplesche told the court that the Crown was not ready to proceed.
Delplesche said that the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution was perusing the file.
“We are just about ready,” he said, adding that the prosecution will then disclose the evidence to the defence “and we shall be on our way”.
The chief magistrate ordered that disclosure be done within one week and set the date of the next hearing for Feb. 11.
Counsel Grant Connell represents Cupid.
Cupid, 45, of Murray’s Village has been released on EC$15,000 bail in connection with corruption and conspiracy charges in connection with the escape, between Sept. 30 and Oct. 1, 2019, of accused murderer, Veron Primus, 32.
Primus escaped from Her Majesty’s Prisons in Kingstown while awaiting trial for the November 2015 murder of real estate agent, Sharleen Greaves, 33.
He pleaded guilty to a charge relating to his escape and was sentenced to 16 months in jail.
Primus has also been indicted in the United States on a murder charge relating to the death, in 2006, of a 16-year-old girl.
He had also been facing abduction, rape and buggery charges in connection with his alleged imprisonment of a woman at a house in Vermont in 2016.
However, those charges were withdrawn after the woman did not testify at the preliminary hearing.