The deceased, Dominic Moses. (Photo: Facebook)

A post mortem conducted on the body of repatriated Vincentian sailor Dominic Moses, 37, of Clare Valley, confirmed that his death was unrelated to COVID-19, the National Emergency Management Organisation (NEMO) said on Sunday.

Moses died last Tuesday at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital, one day after completing the mandatory 14-day quarantine for all person arriving in St. Vincent and the Grenadines during the COVID-19 pandemic, NEMO said hours after the sailor’s death.

NEMO offered no further information on the death of a sailor in a press statement on Sunday, which focused primarily on the repatriation of some 150 Vincentians this week.

However, hours after the death of the sailor and even before a post mortem was conducted, NEMO had ruled out COVID-19 as a possible cause of death.

NEMO had said that the results of a COVID-19 test received on the day that the sailor died had “confirmed that his death was not related to COVID-19”.

The emergency management agency had said, however, a post mortem examination would be conducted “to confirm the cause of death”.

Meanwhile, NEMO said on Sunday that more than 150 Vincentians will be repatriated by sea and air during this week.

Nineteen Vincentians studying in Barbados arrived on Sunday at the Argyle International Airport, while 59 crew members from Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL) and three from Disney Cruise Lines (DCL), will arrive at Port Kingstown today, Monday.

Crew members employed by the Norwegian Cruise Line company are scheduled to arrive later this week.

On arrival the nationals will be processed according to the established risk based repatriation protocols, aimed at minimising any new introduction of COVID-19 to St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), NEMO said.

Outstanding COVID-19 PCR results received from the CARPHA Public Health Lab over the past week revealed no new positive cases.

SVG, therefore, continues to have two active COVID-19 cases of a 27-recorded positive cases.

“The Health Services Subcommittee is reminding the public that it is still very important to maintain the public health measures previously advised, which include hand hygiene, cough etiquette, physical distancing of at least 3-6 feet in public spaces where feasible, the smart use of masks and strict adherence to quarantine and isolation,” NEMO said.

It added that these measures are even more critical as more Vincentians return home and intraregional travel increases.

2 replies on “Autopsy confirms sailor’s death not linked to COVID-19 — NEMO”

  1. Dexter Rose says:

    So if no more information is being offered by NEMO to a public which never requested details of the deceased sailor’s cause of death why doesn’t NEMO simply leave it alone?
    We have heard before that the death was not COVID related thus any other communique should say exactly what was the cause of death, something which is normal in a civilized world. This says nothing more. If the intention was to somehow convince inquiring minds of the cause of death the inquiry has now lead to intrigue.

  2. This is what I mean about the media being used for propaganda tactics in a race with each other to influence our opinions. While the real truth is far different.

Comments are closed.