Five more adult Vincentians without a recent travel history have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing to 12 the number such cases detected since last week.  

The five new local cases were among nine announced on Monday, marking one of the few occasions when there were more local cases detected than imported ones.

One of the new local cases is linked to the Dec. 28, 2020 cluster, the National Emergency Management Organisation (NEMO) said in a press statement on Monday.

“The remainder continues to be investigated. Contact tracing, linking and testing related to these new cases are ongoing,” NEMO said.

The statement said that increased testing of persons with flu-like symptoms such as sore throat, fever and cough continues at district health centres throughout the country.

All patients seen at all health care facilities must wear facial coverings and will be screened for COVID-19.

Additionally, general COVID-19 screening of various categories of workers will be undertaken by health care workers.

The public is strongly urged to wear facial coverings, sanitise their hands regularly and maintain physical distancing when possible.

NEMO said that four non-national adult travelers arrived from Brazil, the United States and the United Kingdom between Dec. 20 and 27, 2020 with negative PCR tests.

Subsequent testing during the quarantine period revealed positive PCR results.

These travelers remain isolated until cleared by two negative results.

St. Vincent and the Grenadines has recorded 133 cases of COVID-19, of which 100 persons have recovered and 33 remain active cases.

All positive cases will continue to be isolated until cleared by two negative tests.