KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent, April 18, IWN — Lawyers for Leader of the Opposition, Arnhim Eustace, has written to WE FM demanding an apology and EC$140,000 for statements Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves made on the station on Feb. 17.
Mira Commissiong, a lawyer or Eustace, told I-Witness News on Thursday that WE FM is yet to respond to Eustace’s demand.
The demand came even as Gonsalves has refused to apologise for saying in a telephone call to the station that Eustace had alleged in an interview with the BBC that investor Dave Ames, chair of Harlequin, had gone to Gonsalves’ office with a bag of money and left without it.
Eustace has denied making the allegation and Commissiong said that she has been instructed to sue Gonsalves for EC$140,001.
But Gonsalves, a lawyer, has said that Eustace’s claim has no legal merit, that he will not apologise, and that he will vigorously defend any legal action against him.
“The only thing I have to say on that is that the Prime Minister is entitled to his opinion,” Commissiong told I-Witness News, when asked about Gonsalves’ comments.
Gonsalves said last month that he would sue Eustace for statement that the Opposition Leader made at a town hall meeting in New York.