Incidences of sexual assault are on the increase in St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and Commissioner of Police Michael Charles says the assault of a 13-year-old girl last weekend is especially troubling.
“From our reports, a 13-year-old was walking along the Campden park public road and she was picked up by a black vehicle and taken somewhere and assaulted and was later returned,” Charles said on radio on Wednesday.
Police said in a press release earlier this week that they are investigating a report of sexual assault on a young female, which occurred between Campden Park and Pembroke.
Reports reaching I-Witness News are that a teenaged girl was found half-naked and unconscious in Campden Park on the weekend.
The police chief said that the incident is under investigation.
“We have a lot to be concerned [about], because the time this incident happen is around 4 p.m., according to the report.
“At 4 p.m., people are about to leave work, … and it is about this time that watchmen start to go to work, and nobody was able to see anything. These are causes for concern,” Charles said.
He said he has “no clear answer” why sexual assault is on the increase.
“We have some predators out there, and if you notice the age of the people who are being assaulted, they are minors,” Charles said.
“We just have to ask parents and guardians to be closer to the young females; don’t take chances; don’t let them out of your sight.
“There are a lot of predators out there and sometimes the predators are people they trust, friends of the family and so forth,” Charles further said.
Charles said that police have begun to compile a database of sex offenders.
“It is not fully developed but we think this is the way to go and that is the direction in which we are heading.”
He further said the Sexual Offence Unit will be launched soon.
The unit will initially comprise five members, mostly female, who have experience in dealing with sexual offences.