By Chester Morgan
Dear Minister of Sports:
Series 1: On upgrading our National Sports Policy:
Objective 1: Increased participation in sports and physical activities.
1. Make it mandatory that physical education become a subject for all students of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
2. Use all the facilities we presently have and place some simple exercising tools, such as pull up bars and a kids’ section, where slides and swings are present.
3. Seek a national day of recreation, where activities are done within the communities on the street. For example, let traffic flow over Plan area in Layou and use the main road to a biking competition, running, netball, etc.
4. Work with early childhood care and education services and organisations to ensure that pre-school practitioners, providers, and parents/guardians are supported in improving the physical activity habits of very young children in their care; including the development of improved physical literacy outcomes.
5. Highlight to teachers and parents/guardians messages around the positive relationships between sports participation and exam performance in our efforts to attenuate the drop off that occurs in participation levels around exam years.
The views expressed herein are those of the writer and do not necessarily represent the opinions or editorial position of iWitness News. Opinion pieces can be submitted to [email protected].