Advertisement 87
Advertisement 323
Mark Williams in a March 8, 2019 photo.
Mark Williams in a March 8, 2019 photo.
Advertisement 219

A man who was in 2019 jailed for using money from EC$100,000 stolen during a burglary to hire a lawyer for the burglar, has become the 39th homicide victim in St. Vincent and the Grenadines this year.

The man, Mark Williams, a 31-year-old vendor, of New Montrose, died at Milton Cato Memorial Hospital on Tuesday, sometime after being shot by a masked assailant.

On Monday, police said that Williams was at a shop in Old Montrose/Block 2000 when a masked man approached him with a gun and started to fire shots.

Williams received several shots about his abdomen and was rushed to the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital for medical attention.

Police said they have upgraded to a murder investigation the attempted murder probe that they launched when Williams was shot.

Advertisement 271

With Williams’ death, the homicide count is now three shy of last year’s record-setting 42.

In 2019, Williams was jailed for two years for handling stolen goods in connection with using money from the stolen loot to hire a lawyer.

Kenetta James, 40, of Chateaubelair, the sister of the burglar, was also jailed for two years for handling stolen goods.

Williams and James were convicted at the High Court on a charge that between June 19, 2013, and July 2, 2013, knowing or believing a sum of money to be stolen, dishonestly received it for their own benefit.

The money was part of the EC$110,000 that Junior James stole from the GECCU branch in Georgetown.

The police carried out investigations and arrested Junior James, who pleaded guilty to burglary and was sentenced to four years and eight months imprisonment.

Police are asking people with information that can assist with the investigation into Williams’ death to call 1784-457-1211 Ext. 4856/4837; or any police station; or police officer you are comfortable with.

“All information will be dealt with confidentially. Investigations into the matter are ongoing,” police said.