Lejay “Soups” Alexander gestures inside a prison van on Friday. At left is accused murderer Jebarry Jackson, who also goes by the name Michael Richards, who had a court appearance in connection with his murder charge. (iWN photo)

A resident of Glen and Brighton has been charged with attempted murder in connection with the 9:02 a.m. shooting in Kingstown last Tuesday of Rockies resident Lionel “Gobler” George.

Lejay “Soups” Alexander was brought before the Serious Offences Court on Friday, charged with attempted murder.

Alexander was not required to plead to the indictable charge, which was read to him by Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne.

Senior Prosecutor Adolphus Delplesche objected to bail, telling the court that George was still in hospital.

Delplesche said George had undergone surgery at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital and was in the Intensive Care Unit there with a gunshot injury to the head.

Browne denied Alexander bail and ordered that he be remanded in custody and return to court this Friday, Nov. 15, for bail review.

George was shot in the area of C. Prescott & Sons Ltd. on Lower Middle Street, near the market square.

Reports are that George and his girlfriend, Deneisha “Gazaden” Corridon, were unpacking clothes for sale in the area when the shooting occurred.

A gunman reportedly approached George, having walked the block from Gonsalves Liquors to where the shooting took place.

The gunman is said to have used an open umbrella in an attempt to conceal his identity before discharging several shots at George, one of which struck him to the head. 

The assailant then fled the scene on foot, running along Bedford Street then onto Paul’s Avenue, taking the road alongside the corporate headquarters of VINLEC.

In the meantime, onlookers used their mobile devices to record images of George bleeding profusely before he was lifted into the back of a car, in the arms of his girlfriend, and taken to hospital. 

Later Tuesday, police issued a wanted bulletin for Alexander, who turned himself in that day, accompanied by lawyer Grant Connell. 

The shooting comes about a year after George himself was slapped with an attempted murder charge, in November 2018, in connection with the shooting of fellow Rockies resident, Tevin Williams.

Williams, 22, survived a gunshot to the chest, but died on Sept. 8, 2019 after being shot in the face while hanging out under the Melville Street gallery of Ace Hardware.

Further, police had questioned George last year in connection with the Nov. 21 murder of Paul Over shopkeeper Sabitree Lyttle, who died after being shot at her home, where she also operated a shop.

The shooting took place during an apparent robbery.

While Gorge and two other persons were questioned in connection Lyttle’s death, police only charged one of them, Jebarry Jackson, 20, of Campden Park, who also goes by the name Michael Richards.

Richards is currently the subject of a preliminary inquiry into Lyttle’s murder and could be made to answer to the charge, if the chief magistrate deems that a case has been made out against him. 

George was also a person of interest in the Oct. 13, 2018 shooting in Paul’s Avenue that left Len “President” Stowe dead and Erel “Boatie” Hector, Farez “Spragga” Prescott, and Dino King nursing gunshot injuries. 

2 replies on “No bail for man charged over shooting in K’town”

  1. How the […] they charge this guy when the […] shooter on the loose check you all self and look for the […] shooter please

Comments are closed.